Saturday, April 12, 2008

Phat Girlz Starring Mo'nique


This could quite possible be the worse movie I have ever watched (or at least in the top 100...I've watched a lot of movies).

Since its debut in 2006, I haven't been interested in watching it at all until it came on The Movie Network. I tivoed it and watched it. Ew.

It was oversaturated with fat girl dilemmas from not being able to fit into clothes to being made fun of to having deep insecurities. When I thought the movie was almost done, Mo'nique as Jasmine has a tantrum and becomes over depressed because she is fat, not Phat. This part began with her watching another depressed fat girl on T.V. while she was eating a whole pizza.

Now I'm all for movies about the big girl's plight but this was ridiculous.

I love Mo'nique, and I loved the beginning of this film (not when she's dreaming but when she quickly explains her life story) but overall I cannot recommend this movie to anyone, especially not my my skinny friends. They might think that I'm as depressed as Jasmine.

I also didn't like that fact that most of the movie made it seem like only African men would be interested in big beauties. Like we're supposed to fly to Nigeria to get some action. That was horrible.

Nice try Mo but you need to lay off the "everybody hates big girls" theme. We get love from all over.

Oh and to add insult to injury, look how they airbrushed the hell outta Mo on the DVD cover. That's not even funny!

No comments: